52 Limited is a digital staffing agency with an industry-leading focus on the creative + technology space. We exclusively place tech and creative talent in direct-hire, contract-to-hire, and contract roles with our clients in Portland, Seattle, Austin, and San Francisco.
We are looking for a Design Researcher for a full time contract-to-hire hybrid (on-site/remote) role with a client in Portland, Oregon.
A Design researcher is expected to be actively engaged in work ranging from tactical product-to-market projects and services, to strategic design programs focused on future innovation
In this role you will:
-Plan and facilitate collaborative workshops with our clients, both in-person and virtually, supporting senior team members.
- Translate business strategy questions and concerns into human-centered learning objectives, determine which tools to use based on business needs and objectives.
- Seek out diverse perspectives, then synthesize and communicate those stories and insights to influence both design solutions and strategic decision making.
- Collaborate to translate insight into actionable strategic and design based outcomes.
- Develop trust and strong relationships with clients and internal teams.
- Work collaboratively with other creatives, researchers, developers, clients and product teams to help deliver best-in-class product and services for valued brands.
-Take ownership and accountability for your personal development.
- Set challenging - but reasonable - goals and show us how you will achieve them.
- Develop tools and methods to share your progress and find new areas for development.
- Lead by example & live our values - Offer help to others when you see they are overwhelmed.
- Demonstrate how our values are realized to others.
- Embody research ethics and be respectful of everyone your research work touches.
- Keep leadership honest, let us know when we need to address or clarify issues or communications.
What We’re Looking For Education and Experience
- BA or MA in Service Design, Design Strategy, or equivalent
- 2+ years of work experience in Design Research or related field
- Academic, professional, or life experience from outside the design field that enriches your perspective as a designer are a bonus
Design Research Skills
- Ability to leverage a combination of research techniques and tools to develop a rich understanding of people, products and their larger surrounding context.
- Experience creating research tools and approaches, discussion guides and surveys. Confidently facilitate both virtual and in person research.
- Ability to conduct post-research synthesis and analysis to uncover insight that informs next steps.
- Ability to construct a clear narrative and visualizations that elevate peoples voices, frameworks such as customer journeys, service blueprints, and ecosystem maps based on inputs from research.
- A flair for translating research insights into stories in a way that informs, inspires, and ultimately influences design outcomes.
- Proficiency with project management skills, ability to manage time effectively.
- Proficiency with industry design tools and software applications (Keynote, Adobe CC Suite, Office Suite, Miro or equivalent).
- Ability to create simple tools, mockups and prototypes across digital and physical tools (paper prototypes).
- Ability to build decks and tell compelling stories to convey an idea to the right audience (Keynote, PPT).
- Ability to simplify and visualize complicated workflows and service blueprints.
- Photography/ videography skills are a plus.
- Competitive salary
- Short term, long term disability coverage
- Retirement benefits - 401(k)
- 20 days PTO per year plus public holidays
- Holiday closure in December
- Paid leave (paternity, parental, bereavement, etc)
- Paid sabbaticals after 5 and 10 years on the team
Professional Development Opportunities
- Attending conferences/ learning events/ trade shows
- Training opportunities for career development
Please note: All potential candidates must submit an online portfolio demonstrating your process and experience, including work samples or case studies